Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Peach Days

Another week, another parade, much to my surprise. Most times you'd more likely be correct to say "Another decade, another parade".

On the face of it, "Peach Days" does have a more promising ring to it than "Onion Days". But, I really kind of like Onion Days and have never been to Peach Days, mostly because it's in Brigham City and, well, I've never even made it to Pleasant Grove for Strawberry Days before.

I've always liked Brigham City just fine, however. It does share the name of my favorite university and one of my favorite nephews. It also has one of the finer tabernacles still used in the church.

But, along with a Stacey Family Reunion, what made Brigham City really special on this day was Dad!

After years of encouragement, he finally agreed to don his uniform and ride in the parade. Until this, I'd only seen pictures of him in his Army Air Corps uniform.
Our cousin Ernie has restored a couple of '40s era jeeps and brings them down from Wyoming to drive at the front of the parade...
... along with a truck that Uncle Gary restored that some of his son's keep up now.
Together, with Ernie and Rich driving the Jeeps and Scott driving the truck [with Curtis and kids in back], they made a pretty cool convoy to start the parade.
Driving old Army trucks is sooo cool!
Somehow Ernie got hold of a couple of old machine guns and attached one to each Jeep.
You ask, "Do they work?"


Now just pics of driving down the parade route at the first of a 2 hour parade:
Parade over, driving back to Tabernacle Square.
A hug from Staphanie.
Or more accurately, a hug for Stephanie. Either way, guys in uniform are so cool.
Thanks Grandpa. It was great to see you in the parade!


5 comments:

Loretta Stacey said...

Wonderful blog Darrell:) It's a fitting tribute to a great man. I'm so glad we were there to see him and enjoy the occasion. Thanks Darrell for taking the time to post these pictures. We love you DAD STACEY!!!

Mike and Michelle Clark said...

Wow! I would have given ANYTHING to be there! He looks great in the uniform. How many people could still wear the same uniform after all these years? Great pictures, Dad! What a great tribute to Grandpa!

Stephen Stacey said...

Super. I agree with Michelle. Grandpa looks so cool in his uniform!

StephenEmily Stacey said...

I LOVE the pictures of Grandpa in uniform. Wow - he is very dashing and what a great way to honor his service to our country. Thanks for posting the pictures.
-Emily

Janelle said...

Wow! Grandpa looks awesome! I wish I could've been there along with Richard and the kiddos. I miss being around Grandpa and learning from him and watching Cliffie "help" his great grandpa. I'm really glad he agreed to do the parade. You all are lucky to have seen Grandpa in uniform. He has taught his family well and served his country well too. God bless the servicemen and servicewomen!