Saturday, June 9, 2012

Eclipse 2012

There hasn't been one like it in the USA since 1994, and there won't be another until... well, I don't know, but a long time! 


 On Sunday, May 20th we were favored with the perfect alignment of the moon against the sun while the moon was at its greatest distance from Earth. This leaves a small ring of solar light surrounding the lunar disc: the Ring of Fire.


 I know a photo op when I read about it! 


The problem was that the full glory of the eclipse fell on a narrow line that ran through Zion National Park. Not that it's a bad place to watch an eclipse, but it's not in Utah Valley. Also, the whole show occurred before sunset on Sunday, not on Saturday, or Friday, or... well, you get it. Still, while not a "Ring of Fire", we were in the partial eclipse zone. Also, it was the day Stephen and Emily were to arrive, and like I said, I know a photo-op when I read about it! 


Steve was excited, Emily and Loretta not so much. Steve and I went up on a residential road above the Provo Temple and Matt met us there. No people in our way, great unobstructed view. 


Unfortunately, when we got into place, it was cloudy. But, Ether 12:27 isn't one of my favorite scriptures for nothing! The weakness of the moment was the glory of the moment and the clouds turned out to be an awesome foreground. 


So, here's a sample of my Eclipse 2012 shots: 


 Crescent of Fire

Signet of Fire

Fish-Eye of Fire (with image-echo from filter)

Dim Reflection of Fire off Utah Lake

Fiery Sunset with Provo Temple documented in foreground

I decided, there's something more prosaic about a boring symmetrical ring when you could have had a cool elliptical almost-ring. 

Thanks for looking. 

2 comments:

Mike and Michelle Clark said...

Those pictures are, in a word, astounding. In two words, simply amazing. Thank you for posting these breathtaking pictures. I wish I inherited your talent!

StephenEmily Stacey said...

It was fun to watch you and Steve run off together for a "photo op" :) You caught some great shots! One even made it in our newsletter the other week!