Tuesday, June 26, 2012

What Are The Odds?

Darrell and I had an interesting evening on Saturday.  In the morning he went to the office as is usual and I took care of things at home as is usual.  When he came home at about 3:00 in the afternoon, he said, “Do you want to drive to Price?”  Well, what’s in Price that is worth the random drive? 


Darrell was listening to the sports station on the radio as a state Wildlife Resources person was talking about the fishing prospects of the state when he (the radio person) mentioned an ‘oh by the way’ comment about bighorn sheep in Sunnyside  and how they are so easy to spot and ................ You get the idea. Sunnyside is about 30 miles farther from Price. We ended up driving there and yes it was worth the drive

We enjoyed watching and taking pictures of a herd of 20 bighorn sheep, all rams - no females in the group at all.
IT WAS MAGNIFICENT!
 We were the only car there in the area watching for a bit of time (around 7:00). Then some other vehicles drove up and stopped and families got out and watched and took pictures. We were there because of the radio, I don’t know about the other people. Well, actually I did learn about one couple.

An interesting random thought actually popped into my head there in the middle of nowhere.
This thought:  “I wonder if even in this remote place Darrell finds someone he knows.”
What are the odds?

 Pretty good apparently because of the few vehicles that came and went one actually stayed - a man and his wife. They drove up in a rusty beat up old truck and struck up a conversation with me.

I was down standing by the car waiting for Darrell who was still up the mountain quite a distance away taking more (hundreds) of photos.  They were from Price and were taking a drive on a loop through Nine Mile Canyon. (Which by the way is actually 47 miles.)  When Darrell came down, he joined the conversation and the connection was made.  

Darrell had only seen these people once before a few weeks earlier but once everyone figured out the whole doctor/patient thing, a lengthy medical conversation ensued.  We finally left an hour and a half later.

I admire Darrell for his patience with his patients.
(I took the above photos.  Darrell will be posting his  - which are amazing!)


After Darrell and I finally left, I questioned him about this patient and why when he was not accepting new patients that this man and his wife were accepted.  I won’t go into that explanation but the bottom line was this simple statement: “I felt like I should help them out because not many doctors accept medicare/medicaid needy people.”  (Especially if they have a laundry list of problems which include addictions.)  Darrell said that he felt that the whole encounter with the sheep was for this mans benefit. This man wants to make some life changes.   

Darrell talked with this man about the power of the Book of Mormon and told him that he needed to read it and pray about it.  (Obviously something he can't do in an office visit.)  Long story short, this man would need to make some mighty life style changes but Darrell actually told him, “When you and your wife go to the temple, call us and we’ll be there.”  The mans wife is a member - he is not.

I listened as Darrell talked about how time consuming this type of patient is but what can I say - he loves helping people.  I just looked at him and said,  “Darrell, you are a good man.”  For which he quietly said, “Thank you.”

I am married to a wonderful, compassionate man.  (Who doesn't argue with the Spirit when impressed to help.)I am so blessed.




2 comments:

Mike and Michelle Clark said...

Don't you just love those "coincidences" that aren't really coincidental at all? Dad is a good man. We're all blessed by his example.

Janelle said...

You are certainly married to a very kind and compassionate soul. He is a great Dad and 'Papa'! Love to you both. :)